What Causes House Fires In Reno And How To Avoid Them
As a homeowner, one of the most menacing threats to your home and family is the risk of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners took on approximately $1.6 billion in losses as the result of accidental or unattended fires. Unfortunately, fires are unpredictable and many times preventable -- with a little knowledge of where to act. And hopefully you have a monitored fire alarm that gets you aid immediately should you undergo an incident.
What Causes House Fires In Reno?
Fires may start in nearly any place at any time on the premises. However, you can lower the threat of a blaze if you take safety measures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is the leading cause, by a huge margin, of a house fire in Reno. Kitchen-related flames typically begin when the kitchen goes unattended while making the meal. Water used on a grease fire only works to escalate a flame that would on the other hand be contained.
- Candles: Passing out in an area with a burning candle is risky, even when you use a recessed candle holder. The flame is more than capable of catching a curtain ablaze if left near a window, and pets can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that more than 7,600 homes were damaged because of candle-related fires between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or improperly installed lighting, and cut lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Be sure not to overwhelm your outlets or plug any object in with exposed wires. If for any reason you hear crackling or smell smoke from the outlet, flip the breaker off ahead of checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because waste, like dust, paper or plastic scraps, or covers can find their way in and spark up. However, you need to make sure to monitor fan and ceramic space heaters at all times when in usage.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 17,000 residence fires caused by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. If you enjoy tobacco in the house, be certain they never fall asleep with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully snuff out your paraphernalia before you toss it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Does Help When You Have A Fire
If a fire should break out, you definitely want to have an effective detection system to inform your family members before it gets serious. A traditional smoke alarm is adequate but can only alert you if smoke is really billowing. An advanced fire alarm -- a security device that's tied to your home security network -- is able to detect both smoke and climbing heat and can do more to ensure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has several it can inform you of a fire. Your alarms can inform your family with an ear-piercing siren and an alert to your mobile device. Then your always-on monitoring experts will contact the fire department. And if you find yourself somewhere in which you aren’t able to race home when a fire breaks out, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent can help coordinate communication between you and emergency personnel.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in Reno should never be discounted, but you can rest assured if you have a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you get all the smoke sensors you need with a cutting-edge home security system. Call (775) 316-7001 or submit the form below to get your home security system.